[chirp_users] ARM Distribution?

Dan Smith
Fri Apr 8 14:12:04 PDT 2016

> Is running the latest daily really the only way to get an up to date
> and usable version of chirp?  Is it really all that impossible to
> make a versioned release every now and then?

It's certainly not, but it's not very useful either. Since we don't
merge things that we know are broken, there's no need to maintain a
stable branch. That makes the main branch the most stable one all the
time. That means you're free to grab a snapshot at any time, package it
for your distro and repeat in whatever your desired interval is. If
you'd like to build some automation around it for your distro like I
have for the PPA, let me know and I'll be glad to help do some signaling
for you to trigger off of.

When we did maintain stable versions, the distros didn't reliably update
those either, so I don't really see the point. Ubuntu base still has
0.3.1 in it from three years ago, apparently :)

> It would certainly be easier on your non-ubuntu users if their
> distros had a fighting chance.

A couple years ago, I did a poll looking for people to indicate what
linux distros they cared about so I could focus whatever time I had on
things that were likely to generate value for people. 99% used an ubuntu
or debian variant. I feel like we're doing the best for everyone if 99%
run ubuntu and get the latest bug and feature updates the day after we
release them.

--Dan