[chirp_users] How to program null channels

Jim Unroe
Thu Sep 17 02:55:02 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Ed Danley <edwardd20 at danleys.org> wrote:
> I have a similar issue but at the opposite end of the spectrum. I want to program a frequency that is slightly out of spec. I bring up Chirp, go to Settings, then Other Settings and adjust the UHF Lower Limit (MHZ) to 396. I then reload the radio and I’m able to tune in my frequency in question. However when I reload those setting from the Radio, I can’t edit that value (assign a name) in the Memories mode of Chirp. I get a message about being “out of range”.
>
> Thanks for the great software for noob ham’er and my little UV-5R.
>
> E Danley
> KD9DTG

Ed,

CHIRP is currently programmed to let the user only enter frequencies
that are "in spec" because frequencies that are "slightly out of spec"
not reliable. One radio might go down to 396 MHz, but another may only
go down to 398 MHz.

But it is still easy to do what you want to do. Program the channel
into the spreadsheet style memory editor with a name and other
parameters using and "in spec" frequency. Then use the "browser" to
change the frequency to the "out of spec" frequency that you want
(you'll have to click the [Refresh] button to see the change).