[chirp_users] Strange Behavior With BF-F8HP

Jim Unroe
Fri Sep 4 02:30:37 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Tom Balaban <mototom800 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chirpers,
>
> Eariier the week I successfully used Chirp with my BF-F8HP.
>
> Tonight I tried to add frequencies for the race I'm officiating this
> weekend. I am able to download from the BF-F8HP but when I try to upload
> both the "Vendor" and "Model" fields are disabled (grayed out). I can change
> the Port but nothing else and I can't upload.
>
> Any thoughts on what might be going on?
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Second part first.

You can only upload a CHIRP Radio Image (*.img) file to the same
Vendor and Model radio that it came from. So when uploading, the
correct Vendor and Model are detected from the "image". They are
automatically selected and must not be changed (so they are greyed
out).

Now for the first part.

It would help I you would provide the error message received or an
attached debut.log file, Without that only provide general things to
look for can be provided.

The most common problem that most have with Baofeng radios is not
getting the 2-pin plug fully inserted into the radio. Some have even
had to press on the plug during the transfer to make sure that the
pins are fully engaged with the socket.

CHIRP "remembers" the last COM port that was used. If you have a
programming cable with a Prolific USB-to-TTL UART chip and plug the
programming cable into a different USB port, it will be assigned a
different COM port than was used before. You will have to change CHIRP
to the "new" COM port.