[chirp_users] Juentai JT6188

Dan Smith
Tue Oct 20 12:59:38 PDT 2015

> If ten owners who want CHIRP set up for the JT6188 (and sisters) would
> each chip in $10, then a radio could be purchased and donated to the
> developers and your wishes would come true.

Yep, this is doable, but please don't use the main donation link on the
front page if you're trying to collect a bounty for something like this.
Deal with a developer directly.

If a developer wants to take on that model (which is something that
should be declared before anyone tries to contribute towards a specific
model), coordination of who is willing to donate should happen in the
ticket for the referenced model, I think. If enough people are on board,
then money could be sent via paypal or google wallet to the developer.

Even better would be one user offering to collect up the small bits and
order the radio to be shipped to the developer. It may sound like a
small thing, but anything a user can do to help make the process easier
for the developer is welcomed!

This is a hard thing to do with $300 radios, but today's age of $50
chinese radios certainly opens up this avenue. I will also say, by the
way, that the radio drivers in chirp that are the best (most stable,
most complete) are those that are for radios the developers own. A
loaner radio is great, and usually ends up with minimal support before
the developer has to send it back. A donor radio means the developer can
spend much more time implementing lots of functionality and fixing bugs
when they come up. It's terrible to implement a driver, send the radio
back, and have someone report a bug a week later that would be easily
squashed if the developer still had the radio in-hand.

--Dan