[chirp_users] Panda reported a virus in Oct 9 and Oct 13 dailybuilds.

Bill Gabbard
Tue Oct 13 15:36:11 PDT 2015

No virus reported by Norton on my 7 PC or AVG on my 10 PC.
All working great..........Bill
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Hayward
  To: Discussion of CHIRP
  Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Panda reported a virus in Oct 9 and Oct 13 dailybuilds.

  On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Eric Vought <evought at pobox.com> wrote:
  > Most of the distribution IS python source is it not? It's compiled on-the-
  > fly by the Python runtime. Tom, are there blobs in the package which might
  > trigger a false- positive? Alex, does the download checksum correctly?

  Yes, that is most likely what is happening.

  Every few months we get a message like this to the mailing list. It's
  usually one of the smaller antivirus packages reporting a virus. So
  far they have all been false positives. My guess is there are actual
  viruses out there using Python libraries, and not realizing they're
  looking at popular open source software, the antivirus company flags
  it.

  False positives are extremely common in antivirus software, and
  detection rates of real malicious software is low. I don't even bother
  with antivirus software.

  Tom KD7LXL