[chirp_users] Chirp for Chromebook

Kenneth Bechtel
Tue Nov 17 16:54:52 PST 2015

2017, just about a year away, is the end of life, absolute drop dead.  Development is now entering maintenance only phase.  Point being, if we're talking porting, this would be low priority, and I'd recommend anyone currently using it to look for a migration plan.

On November 17, 2015 7:49:35 PM EST, David Ranch <chirp at trinnet.net> wrote:

>That "very soon" is evidently 2017 which is a ways away -
>http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639950/google-combining-android-chromeos-report
>
>.   Even then, I think I was rightly corrected by Tom Hayward that
>there
>is a lot more to Chirp than just Python.  It also needs PyGTK where
>"Py"
>is for Python and "GTK" is the GUI widgets that powers the Gnome
>Xwindows environment.  I didn't find much for this required and that
>makes sense as that really takes Android in a direction that Google
>probably doesn't want.
>
>To the Fldigi point.. that HF digital modes program uses Fltk (Fast
>Light Tool Kit) and native C++.  Fltk depends on Xwindows but Android
>doesn't use Xwindows.  The following thread has more details
>https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fltkcoredev/pGEIyMOJw84 but the
>
>synopsis is it's probably not going to happen.   Btw, there are several
>
>HF digital mode programs available on Google Play but they are usually
>fixed single-mode apps like PSK31, RTTY, SSTV, WX FAX, Navtex, APRS,
>etc.
>
>--David
>KI6ZHD
>

>On 11/17/2015 03:49 PM, Kenneth Bechtel wrote:
>> Crome OS is going away, very soon according to Google, it will be
>merged into Android in the not too distant future.
>>
>> On November 17, 2015 6:40:38 PM EST, "Nigel A. Gunn  G8IFF/W8IFF"
><nigel at ngunn.net> wrote:
>>> I'd like to see Chirp (and FLDIGI) written for the Chromebook.
>>>
>>> I think Chrome apps are written in javascript and HTML.

Sent from my Android Tablet with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.