[chirp_users] Chirp for Chromebook

David Ranch
Tue Nov 17 16:49:35 PST 2015

That "very soon" is evidently 2017 which is a ways away -
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639950/google-combining-android-chromeos-report
.   Even then, I think I was rightly corrected by Tom Hayward that there
is a lot more to Chirp than just Python.  It also needs PyGTK where "Py"
is for Python and "GTK" is the GUI widgets that powers the Gnome
Xwindows environment.  I didn't find much for this required and that
makes sense as that really takes Android in a direction that Google
probably doesn't want.

To the Fldigi point.. that HF digital modes program uses Fltk (Fast
Light Tool Kit) and native C++.  Fltk depends on Xwindows but Android
doesn't use Xwindows.  The following thread has more details
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/fltkcoredev/pGEIyMOJw84 but the
synopsis is it's probably not going to happen.   Btw, there are several
HF digital mode programs available on Google Play but they are usually
fixed single-mode apps like PSK31, RTTY, SSTV, WX FAX, Navtex, APRS, etc.

--David
KI6ZHD