[chirp_users] Chirp on Android

Eric Vought
Tue Nov 17 13:57:50 PST 2015

Much of the Python code should work on Android without much problem given
the existing Android port of Python. Much of the underlying driver stack
(USB, etc) is even the same with Chirp/Python/Linux because Linux often
uses the same chipsets used in Android hardware.

The problem, as I understand it, is that the Chirp Graphical User Interface
has not been ported and is not expected to ever be. That does not prevent
the use of a new GUI on Android making the same Python calls that the Chirp
GUI now does. At the very least, it *should* be possible to make an Android
app which allows some *basic tasks* to be performed from an Android phone
or tablet short of what the full Chirp GUI does.

For instance, it would be handy to just be able to backup a radio's
configuration or upload a preconfigured image in the field without even the
ability to edit the images. Right now, we can pull a radio from our radio
cache and clone handset-to-handset without Chirp. We can also field program
a radio manually and clone it without Chirp. What would be useful to do
from a phone would be too pull a *different* configuration (generated in
Chirp elsewhere), perhaps backing up the radio first, and upload it to the
radio or to download the field-programmed changes and send them to someone
else.

That much should be a good test-of-concept.