[chirp_users] Chirp on Android

Simon Wood
Tue Nov 17 09:45:40 PST 2015

On Tue, November 17, 2015 9:29 am, Gary Runningbear wrote:
> Calling all app developers! Please, please develop some software so that
> we can use chirp with our Android phones and tablets so that we can take
> massive programming of the radios into the field where it is needed the
> most. Please! It would be so helpful to us. thank you.

Firstly I am not an Android dev, but hopefully can add something to the
discussions... as has been pointed out the biggest problem here would be
to get a physical serial connection to the radio.

Some phones/tablets can do USB host via an 'OTG' cable such as:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-A-Female-to-Micro-B-Male-OTG-Data-Host-Cable-/251451571673?hash=item3a8bae7dd9:g:fiQAAOxyLm9S~rG9

This would allow a serial adapter to be plugged in, and thus make a
connection to the radio.

Android is 'just' linux underneath with a GUI/Enviroment layer on top. I
know of another project which achieves the same types of serial
connection, so it might just be possible to port Chirp.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gpsplus.rtkgps

I would expect that the whole GUI would have to be re-written for/in
Java/Davac, but someone might have a better suggestion.
Simon