[chirp_users] Kenwood TH-D72 Issue

Mark Herson, N2MH
Mon May 25 13:40:04 PDT 2015

Hello to the Group,

Like several other users have posted, I too have a Kenwood TH-D72 portable
and just recently started using Chirp. In addition, I also have had
problems sending an image to the radio in Clone mode. I see where issues
2455 and 1611 address this problem.

After playing with the radio and seeing what is in it after the upload,
I'd like to add several pieces of information.

1. Both issues 2455 and 1611 appear to me to be the same issue. Yes, the
newly progammed 2m channels don't transmit (same as non-functional).
However, when I look at the memories in the radio by band, the newly
programmed 2m channels show up on the UHF side of the radio, not the VHF
side. Apparently, when you try to transmit on these channels, the radio
thinks these channels are out-of-band and will not transmit. Otherwise,
the channels appear to receive OK.

2. Before programming these new channels, I completely read all the
memories in the radio, both VHF and UHF channels and saved the image. I
then added several new VHF channels to the image and then programmed
everything back to the radio. When everything was finished, the new
channels were added in the correct memory position but on the UHF side of
the radio (as described above). However, the original channels were in
their original positions and worked normally. There were no problems with
transmitting on the original VHF channels.

3. If I didn't know anything about the inner workings of Chirp, I'd
probably conclude that:
- The write (clone) process works OK (the original channels went back to
where they were and work OK).
- The process of taking the image and putting the contents on the wire to
the radio works OK.
- Something in Chirp is classifying VHF frequencies as UHF channels at
data entry time. Upon upload to the radio, the radio is instructed somehow
to place these entries in the UHF side where they will fail instead of the
VHF side where they belong.- The process of taking the image and putting
the contents on the wire to the radio works OK.

Software in use: Chirp 0.4.1 and nightly build 20150513. PC is running
slackware 14.1 (64-bit).

Hope this helps the developers fix the bug.

73, Mark, N2MH