[chirp_users] Hidden memory columns

Tom Hayward
Tue May 19 08:55:25 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 5:07 AM, n7uzl <n7uzl at cox.net> wrote:
> Hello
> For whatever reason, sometimes when building a memory list to upload to my
> UV-82c, items such as TSQL and others will change on their own. There are
> several columns that do not pertain to values I want to add to my radio. MY
> question is: If I hide a column, can values be changed without my knowledge
> in a hidden column?
> Regards,
> Don

Pretty much every setting on every radio does not support "null" data
(the exception would be radios that inhibit transmit by blanking out
the transmit frequency field). This means we've got to put something
in those unused columns. These are the defaults you might see:
Tone Mode: None
Tone: 88.5
ToneSql: 88.5
DTCS: 023
DTCD Pol: NN
Duplex: None
Offset: 0.600
Mode: FM
Tune Step: 5.0

Even if the column is hidden, the radio still requires some value be
sent as a default. The above values are what will be set (until you
modify them).

Note that some radios (IIRC, the UV-82c included) cannot differentiate
between a Tone value and a ToneSql value (the radio only has one field
to store both). That may be a source of confusion. Since some radios
can store them independently, the generic Chirp spreadsheet lists
both.

Tom KD7LXL