[chirp_users] Tone setting is not persistent and is overridden

Jim Unroe
Sat May 2 13:12:09 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Nicholas Papadonis <npapadonis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Chirp 0.4 and 20141215 version both seem to have an issue with PL tone setting.  When I use the drop down to select a PL for Tone and then a different one for ToneSQL, one of the two PLs is either set to the default 88.5 or incorrect.  I’m using a Baofeng UV-5R however find this behavior occurs even when working with CSV files.  For instance, I have the following CSV file:
>
> Location,Name,Frequency,Duplex,Offset,Tone,rToneFreq,cToneFreq,DtcsCode,DtcsPolarity,Mode,TStep,Skip,Comment,URCALL,RPT1CALL,RPT2CALL
> 4,N2JDW,147.150000,-,0.600000,TSQL,136.5,123.0,023,NN,FM,5.00,,,,,,
>
> I then import it and results in the following:
>
> 4,N2JDW,147.150000,-,0.600000,TSQL,123.0,123.0,023,NN,FM,5.00,,,,,,
>

> As you can see, the first Tone value was overridden after the import.  It should be 136.5, however is 123.0.  I find similar behavior when saving a Chirp image files and loading it back it.  Therefore this impacts more then just CSV import.
>
> Appreciate any insight here if this is a bug or not.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
> KB1GZN

Nick,

If you would click view and enable "Hide Unused Fields" you might get
a better feel for how you set the tones using CHIRP.

When you set Tone Mode to Tone, the Tone column is used to set the TX
CTCSS tone. The 88.5 tone value in the ToneSql column is unused and
ignored.

When you set Tone Mode to TSQL, the ToneSql column is used to set bot
the TX CTCSS tone and RX CTCSS tone. The 88.5 default tone value (or
any other value you try to change it to) in the Tone column is unused
and ignored

With "Hide Unused Fields" enabled, the unused columns would have been
blank to indicate they are unused.

To set different tone for TX and RX you would set Tone Mode to Cross
and Cross Mode to Tone->Tone. Only when CHIRP is set this way are both
Tone and ToneSql columns used at the same time.

So set Tone Mode=Cross
Then set Cross Mode=Tone->Tone
And finally set your TX tone (Tone column) and RX tone (ToneSql column)

Once this is done, you can export it to a CSV file to "see" what it
should look like when it is properly configured.

You may also want to look at the following guides.

Understanding CHIRP's Columns
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns

CHIRP Programming Reference
http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/CHIRP%20Guide.pdf