[chirp_users] Definition-file for ICOM-W32E (solved)

David Krause
Tue Jun 9 08:02:37 PDT 2015

Hi Everybody,

I just want to let you know that CHIRP does not work with the ICOM
IC-W32E (european version)!

This is due to the different model-ID. The W32A uses the hex id 18 82 00
01 while the W32E uses 18 82 00 02! So no response from a W32E appears...

I found this after using chirp for a while with no problems with my W32A
but getting no connection with a friends W32E. Even the direct cloning
with the icom cable was not possible, but gave us the hint to the
different modell-id. After changing the line with

    _model = "\x18\x82\x00\x01"

in the ICW32A.PY-file to

    _model = "\x18\x82\x00\x02"

everything runs smooth now!

So as this is easy done, but just a quick workaround it would be nice to
see a proper definition-file and the IC-W32E added to the list of
compatible gear...

This was also subject of issue #280 on
http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/280 but I don't want to go to much
inside development as I allready have a long list of things to do! So
maybe somebody else has the capacity to put things together....

Regards, David