[chirp_users] New Install: Error opening _ctypes.pyd et al

Jim Unroe
Wed Jul 22 03:52:38 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:27 PM, Richard Dillman <ddillman at igc.org> wrote:

>>When attempting to save a frequency file for a BF-888S using a 2014 version of CHIRP I noticed that the Save As function would not work (no prompt for file name).  After downloading and attempting to install daily build 20150702 I received a "Error opening file for writing" message regarding file _ctypes.pyd (and _hashlib.pyd, _socket.pyd, _ssl.pyd, etc.)
>>
>>Any guidance for solving this installation problem would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>RD
>
> I should have mentioned that the computer is running Win7 and the radio being programmed is a BF-888S.
>
> RD

Try downloading the "win32.zip" version and unzip it somewhere
convenient. Then double-click the "chiprw.exe" file to launch CHIRP.
If that works, then you either have a bad download of the installer
version, or something in your computer is keeping CHIRP from
installing properly.

If that doesn't work, then downgrade to a daily build from the early
part of June to see if that makes a difference.