[chirp_users] Chirp on MAC OS X Yosemity

Pat Anderson
Sun Jul 19 15:34:33 PDT 2015

If you have the ability to go back to Lion, I would do that ASAP! I had a
Lion backup (SuperDuper) on an external USB drive, and foolishly did not
retain it, instead I backed up my Yosemite installation.  HUGE mistake.  So
I am cut off from going back.

I could explain if we were sitting down together at a table with the
computer in front of us, but probably not via email.  Basically, you need
to be comfortable using the Terminal (In Finder:  Applications | Utilities
| Terminal.app).  It is a command line interface, no graphical interface.
You type (or better yet, copy and paste) commands, enter your password, say
a magic incantation (just kidding but it doesn't hurt) and press return.
If all goes well, the command will execute; if not, you risk causing all
kinds of problems with your computer, which is why I say it is not for the
faint at heart!  You have been warned!

Assuming you have the Terminal open, copy this and paste it to the command
prompt:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

The "sudo" makes you the superuser (administrator) and the command that
follows allows unsigned drivers to be loaded.

Now you would install your driver. I used the Lion driver from Miklor.com
 and it worked at the beginning.

It was necessary to manually load the driver the first time with another
command in Terminal (again, copy and paste):

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/osx-pl2303.kext

It worked for a while, then although the driver continued to show up in
CHIRP, it always returned the error message "The radio did not respond."
 Same radio, same cable, work fine on my 2006 white Macbook.

Like  I say, if anybody gets CHIRP working reliably in Yosemite, they need
to detail how on a Miklor page!