[chirp_users] UV-5R Service Settings for Squelch Redux

John LaMartina
Sat Feb 28 16:49:42 PST 2015

Jeff,
On one of my F8HP, I mix and match my squelch settings.
My first few settings are low numbers - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25
Then I jump to 30, 40, 50, 60, 65
Best of both worlds.

John
http://www.miklor.com/UV5R/

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Jeff
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2015 6:32 PM
To: 'Discussion of CHIRP'
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] UV-5R Service Settings for Squelch Redux

Oy. I can see this turning into another obsessive tweakfest, which interferes with my regular obsessive software tweaking, which is
a formula for madness.

The increments-of-five approach outlined on the miklor.com page seems to work well, although I started at five for the level-one
slot. This gives me a setting of 25 when squelch is set to five, which is the value that used to be squelch-level nine (on VHF
anyway) under the original factory settings.
Since I almost always kept the squelch at nine, this offers a familiar point of reference in case I can't hear something I used to
hear, or vice versa.

The new level-nine squelch setting of 45 turned out to be just a shade too low when I wanted to squash everything but the strongest
signals, so I bumped that up to 50 on the VHF side, and 55 for UHF. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I decided to lower the
level-one squelch setting to a value of one for both bands, just to keep me from wondering what I might be missing (e.g. simplex or
the ISS) with a higher setting.

The problem, of course, is that these settings are fine for my UV-5R/Baofeng
A-V85 antenna combination, indoors at home, under current weather conditions. A different location with a different antenna may give
me an earful of noise, and the snowpack will eventually give way to leafy trees.
At least I hope so. In the meantime, I suppose there's no harm in pretweaking the alternate CHIRP files I keep on hand for traveling
to other locations with different repeaters and higher RF noise levels.

So far, I haven't shaved off my eyebrows and run into the street wearing nothing but my socks, so I'm good, mostly.