[chirp_users] New Daily Build

Jardy Dawson
Wed Dec 16 06:41:57 PST 2015

The main reason there are so many Motorolas or other mostly commercial or public safety type radios have been showing up at hamfests, etc., is because when the FCC mandated narrow band for those uses, the radios were not capable of operating legally in those areas anymore.  The only legal use left for them was ham, even though they were way too expensive for most people, and very hard to reprogram without the special software usually available from the manufacturer only at great cost. Part of the requirement for these radios was the users could not program radios themselves.  It is a great privilege ham radio operators have to be able to use whatever freqs are available in our license range, without the restrictions of Part 90.  Of course, the assumption is that licensed ham radio operators have more knowledge than the Part 90 users, and will actually follow the rules of Part 97, but we all know how well that works.  Most of the old Part 90 radios should just be recycled, but people try to sell them anyway.  Even big name ham radios cost less than most pure Part 90 radios, and are far easier for a ham to use.

Jardy Dawson
WA7JRD Ham Radio

Message relayed through SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence, although no terrestrial intelligence has been found yet, either)

My reply was a brain freeze moment. I meant to state that CHIRP does NOT support Motorola.