[chirp_users] funky firmware

Jim Unroe
Tue Aug 4 15:31:45 PDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Peter <p.whalley.usa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I am a new Ham with a 40 year background in all things electronic. I just
> picked up new 3 BF-F8+ radios and ended up having to send one back (couldn't
> program via cable). The replacement came in with different firmware -GRRR!-
> and an odd/invalid/strange entry in the ABR menu. See attached pic -I hope
> it is permitted. I can change value to off through 10 using keypad. From
> that point the odd character goes away 'till the next time I program with
> Chip to any value above 10. Above 10 the odd character comes back. Chirp
> allows 0 to 24 as usual and programs without protest for any value 0 - 24
> but cant get actual time to go past 10. Any time less than 10 is handled
> correctly as expected. I reset radio, changed language back to English and
> then tried to set backlight beyond 10 seconds with no success. Used CHIRP
> daily-20150702 and an earlier build with same results. Also, the radio type
> selected was the UV-5R.
>
> If the radio had a 'normal' display this would be less an issue but with the
> inverse display it pushes the usability close to the edge in a negative way!
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior? Have I missed a step? Should I consider this
> a defect and try AGAIN for an exchange?
>
> 73
>
> Peter KC3FBB

It is not a defect if it works properly with a setting of 1 through 10 or OFF.

The menu system in these radios only supports values from 1 though 10
and OFF. The radio itself will accept and understand values up to 24
so CHIRP was programmed to let you use this extra, but unsupported,
capability. In most, if not all, of my radios, a setting of 24 using
CHIRP yields a setting of OFF when looking at menu 6 (ABR).

Either ignore the odd value, or only use ABR setting values of 1 - 10 or OFF.