[chirp_users] UV-5R / BF-F8+

Jim Unroe
Sat Aug 1 09:03:44 PDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Bob Burkett <r.l.burkett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a new BF-F8+ and I am having a problem I can't find an answer for.
> When attempting to program in a repeater with a 5Mhz "+" offset, the radio
> displays "+-"
> Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
>
> I need to program most of my channels with CTSS transmit onlytone and a "+"
> offset.
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
> KF3BY

Bob,

You are don't nothing wrong. That is the way the UV-5R and its many
variants work.

These radios to not use shift direction (+ or -) or offset when
storing channels in MR (channel) mode. What these radios do is store
the RX frequency and TX frequency eliminating the need for these
settings.

You have to remember that these radios are designed for commercial use
where the license shows the authorized frequencies.

So whenever the programmed TX frequency is different from the
programmed RX frequency (repeater, odd-split, cross-band and TX
inhibited channels) the upper status display will indicate "+-".

You can see that the channel is programmed properly by setting menu 21
(MDF-A) or menu 22 (MDF-B) to FREQ and then select that display.
Select the repeater channel that you want to check. You should see the
RX frequency in the selected display. Now tap the [*SCAN] key to put
the radio into "reverse" mode. The selected display will change to the
TX frequency. Tap the [*SCAN] again to exit "reverse" mode.

Menu 25 (SFT-D) and menu 26 (OFFSET) only have a purpose and only
function in VFO (frequency) mode. See the "Reference for UV-5R Menus"
for details which modes and when each menu functions.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_MenuDef.php