[chirp_users] Naming of Narrow vs Wide FM differs between radios making copying channels difficult

Cody P Schafer
Sat Apr 25 15:12:00 PDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Cody P Schafer <dev at codyps.com> wrote:
> It appears that some models (UV-B5, UV-82, TERMN-8R) refer to Narrow
> FM as "NFM" and Wide FM as "FM", while others (Yaesu VX-8) appear to
> refer to Narrow FM as "FM" and Wide as "WFM".
>
> When one attempts to copy channels between radio drivers that use
> different names chirp is unhappy and gives an error for every channel
> with a non-compatible mode.
>
> Should these names be made uniform across drivers?
>
> Or am I just misinterpreting the "Mode" meaning (entirely possible).
>
> Thanks

After looking at
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns and
googling around, it appears that the VX-8 just doesn't support a
2.5kHz deviation on a per-channel level.

There appears to be a setting on the radio called "Half Deviation"
which may do what I'm after, but it is unclear if it is saved on a
per-channel level, and chirp doesn't appear to expose it currently.

I suppose I'll need to start digging into the dump files to find out.