[chirp_users] UV-82 "Privacy coding (tones)"

Jim McCorison
Tue Apr 21 13:26:20 PDT 2015

If I understand what you are describing and what you are asking, you are misunderstanding what tones do. The purpose of tones is not to create privacy, but to allow a radio to ignore transmissions that are not meant for it. When you set a receive tone the radio will remain silent unless a transmitting radio sends that tone. With no tone set a receiving radio will receive all transmissions on its set frequency regardless of whatever tones may be transmitted.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim McCorison
Orcas Island, WA