[chirp_users] New probably rheas of CSV

Bryan McWhirt
Wed Sep 24 10:41:55 PDT 2014

Ahh the pitfalls of using an archaic mailing list instead of a forum, no
ability to search old posts effectively.

I'm having an issue with CSV import. It seems that Chirp is using it's
own interpretation.

1. Open Office and Excel both save CSV in formats that can not be
imported which is not Chirps fault but I still have to deal with it. So,
is there a list of settings and character encoding that actually work
when saving from Open Office Calc?

2. Chirp seems to break the RFC 4180 (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180 ) for CSV in that if you quote the
header fields it breaks. Does that need to be reported as a bug?

This is what I'm doing that I cannot seem to get to work.  I have a Calc
document with the repeaters for the state of Indiana. I export a chirp
file to csv and open that in calc as explained here:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/1251  Then I just copy and paste the
fields into the chirp csv file and save. I get the no channels found error.

I use sed to strip out any excess hidden characters and then try again
and still I get the no channels error.

Maybe I am going about this wrong?  is there a way to post columns into
chirp directly? If so that would be much easier but it doesn't seem to
let me.

--
KB9YEN
Bryan McWhirt