[chirp_users] Using CHIRP

Jim Unroe
Thu May 22 16:22:01 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Richard Mogford <rchrdm at earthlink.net>wrote:

> I just did some work to put a list of repeaters into my Beofeng UV-5R.
>
> It seems like a bit of a complicated process, especially to revise a list
> already in the radio.
>
> The starting point was I had a list that was too long in the radio.
>
> 1. Downloaded the whole list from the radio.
> 2. Deleted all the rows in CHIRP.
> 3. Loaded the blank list back to the radio.
> 4. Imported a .CSV file from Repeaterbook.com. (I edited this in Excel to
> change what was in it a bit.)
> 5. Copied and pasted the imported repeater list from the "Generic CSV" tab
> to the "Baofeng UV-5R" tab.
> 6. Uploaded the new Baofeng list to the radio.
>
> Is it necessary to go through all of this?
>
> (I did read the manual.)
>
> Richard

Step 1 must be done at least one time to get a "Baofeng UV-5R:" tab. After
that, it can be loaded from a saved .img file.

2. This depends. Were they already programmed channels that you wanted or
were they the factory channels that you wanted to get rid of. I probably
would have exported them to a .csv file. That way you would have an example
.csv in the proper format to be imported into CHIRP. Then you could have
added your Repeaterbook.com channels to this file.

3. This step was definitely unnecessary.

4 & 5. These steps could have been combined. Choose Import from CSV files
while you have the "Baofeng UV-5R:" tab selected and you will be presented
with an "Import From File" menu that will allow you to choose which rows to
import (from a single entry all the way to all entries) and which memories
that you want them imported to. I believe that you can even overwrite an
existing CHIRP memory if that is what  you want. In other words, there is
no need to copy & paste between tabs, but there is nothing wrong with doing
it that way either.

6. This step is only required if you want your radio to match the layout
that you created in CHIRP. ;-)