[chirp_users] Summer Project : transcoding CHIRP

Jens J.
Tue May 20 09:13:27 PDT 2014

You may be able to stop windows 7 from updating the driver, as noted here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500967

I dont know for sure as I havent tried it.

________________________________
 From: Niklas Johnson <niklas at ruggedradios.com>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Summer Project : transcoding CHIRP

Its wrong only if you have a 'counterfeit' Prolific chip, the most recent driver revisions that Prolific themselves provided to Microsoft detects and disables the non-genuine variants. Prolific is protecting their market share and IP, and Microsoft was providing a certified manufacturer supplied driver.

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Pete Mackie <pete at seaquest.com> wrote:

Except starting with Mac OS X Mavericks Apple is providing an O/S built in USB to serial driver. I am using the Apple provided USB to serial driver with CHIRP with zero problems.

>Windows has provides an O/S built in USB serial driver. The dilemma is the stupid Microsoft thinks they should automatically provide the latest O/S built in USB serial driver. And that is absolutely the wrong thing to do if you are using a Prolific USB / serial cable.
>

>Pete
>

>On May 20, 2014, at 8:17 AM, Andrew <ziltro at ziltro.com> wrote:
>

>>The drivers for certain USB/serial adapter cables will still be
>>required, and they seem to be the main thing causing problems on Windows
>>and Mac OS.

Best regards,
Niklas Johnson / Tech
Rugged Radios