[chirp_users] Summer Project : transcoding CHIRP

Jens J.
Tue May 20 07:30:30 PDT 2014

1. +1 to join chirp_devel list and discuss there further. also, you have probably seen: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Developers

2. I am all for putting the project on github so that forking and derivative works are easier to manage/merge/recombine features, etc. (Not to mention things like builtin code reviews, ability to run pre-hooked testing, for each pull request, etc).
However, I dont think this is the majority opinion of development team yet. ;)

3. The entry point for ui is chirpw -> chirpui/mainapp.py

-Jens
AF5MI

________________________________
 From: Rich Barstow <kc1bhr at barstow.cx>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>; aszy at mac.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Summer Project : transcoding CHIRP

Al:

You might try joining the developer list...lots more info there. I am considering an Android port, so of course your work with a Java port would be very interesting.  The feedback I got was that the "team" was not interested in doing much with other ports, they're very happy with the python-based app as it is. I was thinking of just porting it with instructions on using Python on Android, probably with the built-in blue-tooth based serial connection, and a rebuilt front end. The base program(s) is highly modular, so as the team added support for additional radios, it should be available for another platform almost immediately.

They were interested in monitoring it, in order to keep versions in sync, however it would require a new entry into whatever code versioning system would be used.

I am *not* a programmer - a tinkerer, and a relatively successful scripting guy. I may be able to acquire free Java programmers through a local high school. I do have access to multiple clients, so would be interested as a tester if nothing else. If it were to go the Android route, I have access to multiple clients there too. :)

Sadly, only one radio at this point. :(

I believe that I have downloaded the most current code sources.