[chirp_users] windows 7 pro and chrip

Jim Unroe
Sat May 10 19:26:01 PDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM, centurytel <dwb2808 at centurytel.net> wrote:

>   What build of Chirp do I need to us for windows 7 pro. I have tried all
> the versions I can find and each one does not let me download to the radio.
> It will not show  a com port number in the window at all. I really need to
> work this out.
>
> Dave Barber
> KD0TUN

Dave,

It is most likely your programming cable and driver combination that is the
problem and not CHIRP. If you have a programming cable with an unauthorized
copy of a Prolific USB-to-serial chip in it (most programming cables sold
for Chinese radios do) then the Prolific driver that is automatically
installed by Windows is incompatible (by design) with that chip. The driver
has to be downgraded to an older version (v3.2.0.0) to be compatible.
Review the following webpage on the Miklor.com website for a link to the
driver and instructions how to install it.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

In the rare case that the driver/programming cable is not the problem,
please advise which com port has been assigned to your programming cable by
Windows (look in Device Manager) and let us know what radio you are trying
to program.