[chirp_users] programming help

Milton Hywatt
Mon Mar 31 11:43:58 PDT 2014

There is a shortcut to that. In device manager choose View
in the toolbar and select show hidden devices. Windows likes
to keep a list of all the devices you plug into USB ports in
the registry. That way when you plug a device in with a
unique ID (one that was previously used) it attempts to give
you hands free plug and play and maybe a search for a newer driver.
While that's fine with a true Prolific cable, it's not with a counterfeit
that needs a rolled back driver. It's best to keep all your cables plugged
in. If you have 4 cables like I do for different radios and a scanner,
buy a hub and plug your cables in it and leave them plugged in unless the
computer is off. All your configurations will remain the same and you won't
be playing driver musical chairs.

________________________________
 From: Bob Recny <n8sqt at arrl.net>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] programming help

FYI - In order to see the Windows "hidden" devices, you may need to set a global (System) environment variable:

Variable Name:  DevMgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices
Variable Value:  1

Log off and back-on to activate the new variable.

Bob Recny, N8SQT

n8sqt at arrl.net

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 11:24 AM, John Kellas <sales at mparam.com> wrote:

I found with those cables it is important to click the view hidden devices option in Windows Device Manager where you discover there may be numerous previous installations of the driver software that are not releasing the com ports they previously grabbed, so you have to delete them first before your cable will work.

>Regards,John Kellas
>403-762-2333
>

>On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Skip <rockyvista at windstream.net> wrote:
>
>John,
>>I still have the correct driver version as I had been to this link more
than once. I took your advise and grabbed a cool one at your suggestion,
thanks!

>>Skip
>>KF5ZXQ
off, RELAX, and remember it’s only a toy. Sometimes a shot of Jack or Jim might
help.

>>If
the drivers no longer work, it may be that you plugged the cable into a
different port on the front of your PC.
>>Windows does you the Favor of
updating your drivers to the newest wrong version.
the proper driver y using the procedure found at http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

>>John
>>http://www.miklor.com

PM
>>To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>Subject: [chirp_users] programming
help

>>Chirp
Users,

>>All I want
to do is program my little radio (UV-5R). I installed the Prolific software a
few weeks ago and downloaded CHIRP and began programming. I have read over and
over information in the Miklor web site. I was able to put a couple of
frequencies in CHIRP. I downloaded them to the radio but the radio didn’t work
as I probably had the Tone or Offset not right. I spent a lot hours trying to
learn  how and gave up. I then went to the manual programming directions
and I can’t program fast enough as the radio times out. (I have a neurology
problem that causes shaking, especially when frustrated.) Next I get an email
that announces a CHIRP update to 4.0. I install it and try to program again. Now
Prolific won’t install. I have a Windows 7 64 bit computer. I live in a rural
area with no Elmer’s. I guess I’m having problems due to my age or stupidity. I
am willing to call someone who may walk me through the whole process. As you can
tell I’m behind the curve on computers as
well.