[chirp_users] Transmit activated when trying to do a transfer (was Re: Another way Chirp can be tripped up by the OS)

Stephen Hersey
Fri Mar 28 10:51:38 PDT 2014

If your PC is using a version of the Prolific driver other than the 3.2.0.0
version Miklor recommends, that may be the root cause of the keyup. My rig
stopped keying up when I switched from the (newer, otherwise functional)
driver Windows 7 picked to the 3.2.0.0 driver from Miklor. My conclusion is
that the newer driver switches the TX line to the break or all-space state
when the port doesn't have an open connection. Might only happen with this
chipset and driver, I suppose. Your recommended procedure is certainly a
good one in any case.

Regards,
Steve

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:51 PM, Michael Rathbun <KL7F at kl7f.us> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 14:08:04 -0400, Stephen Hersey <n1xnxham at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Incidentally, is it normal for the UV-5R to key up when the serial cable
> is
> >present? I'm going to make a practice of always having a dummy load
> >connected when programming this radio.
>
> It is the case here, with two (non-counterfeit) cables.  The rig keys up as
> soon as the software (any software) activates the serial port.
>
> I have identified two solutions:
>
> 1.  Connect the unit to the cable (power off!), prepare Chirp so that you
> only need to click the OK button in order to start the transfer, power the
> unit on, and click the OK button as soon as the rig's display lights up.
> The transfer begins and the transmitter doesn't turn on.
>
> 2.  Put in a receive-only channel (I have local NWS in channel 1, with
> transmit disabled), set the rig to that channel, plug stuff in, run Chirp,
> everybody happy.
>
> mdr KL7F
> --
>    Sometimes half-ass is exactly the right amount of ass.
>        -- Wonderella

Steve Hersey N1XNX
n1xnxham at gmail.com
-----
Each of us has strengths and talents that others don't. Whether innate or
learned, these are gifts -- and a gift not shared is a sad and lonely
thing. Using our gifts for the benefit of all is an ethical obligation for
every intelligent being. (The magic only works if you pass it on!)