[chirp_users] Another way Chirp can be tripped up by the OS

Jim Unroe
Thu Mar 27 15:11:03 PDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Stephen Hersey <n1xnxham at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just started using Chirp with a Baofeng UV-5R and a USB serial
> adapter that Amazon claims is from Baofeng. The adapter has a genuine
> Prolific chip (or a darn good counterfeit), and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
> recognizes it as a serial port; in addition, I can connect TxD to RxD at
> the radio plugs, open PuTTY, and see looped-back characters I have typed on
> the console. So far, so great.
>
> However, neither Chirp nor baoclone could open the serial port the USB
> adapter was assigned to: COM19. Hmmm, 19? Sounds way high for a serial port
> enumeration. I reassigned the USB adapter to the vacant COM2, and hey
> presto! Both utilities are able to talk to the radio.
>
> Sooo, beware of high-numbered COM ports.
>
> Incidentally, is it normal for the UV-5R to key up when the serial cable
> is present? I'm going to make a practice of always having a dummy load
> connected when programming this radio.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

I was one of the testers when CHIRP was given the capability of
automatically detecting and using COM ports up to COM256. Just to be sure,
I set my port to COM256 and it works fine.

My experience with Windows is that after you initially install the driver
for the programming cable or change the virtual COM port number to
something else, both Device Manager and the balloon popup down by the
system tray will tell you what the assigned COM port is. But that COM port
really isn't fully available until you unplug the cable from the USB port
and then plug it back in the same port.