[chirp_users] Copying data from one rig to another (of the same model)

Jim Unroe
Tue Mar 18 16:13:58 PDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 2:31 PM, YT9TP - Pedja <yt9tp at uzice.net> wrote:

> First, I want to emphasize that I know that it is recommended not to
> copy image saved from one rig to another.
>
> There is just one thing I would like to clarify.
>
> As I understand, Chirp uses clone function of a rig to copy settings
> from a rig and store them and also restore settings back to that rig.
>
> Clone function is actually meant to be used to directly copy settings
> from one rig to another using direct cloning cable.
>
> If direct cloning is harmless, why copying image from one rig to another
> using Chirp is not advisable? Isn't it the same as direct cloning except
> image is intermediately saved on computer?
>
> YT9TP, Pedja
> http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs

Like Tom, I will use radios I am familiar with.

UV-5R (and variants)

You must not transfer the AUX block of a radio with BFB291 or newer
firmware with a radio with pre-BFB291 firmware. The reverse is also true.
The "old" and "new" firmware have different layouts. Other differences have
been noticed in the AUX block between many firmware versions, so CHIRP will
not transfer the AUX block if the firmware version in the current tab of
CHIRP is different from the firmware version of the radio.

UV-B5/UV-B6

The image file (both CHIRP and the OEM software) contains the radio "test
data". By uploading an image to a radio that was downloaded from a
different radio, will change settings that were configured in the factory
when the radio was manufactured. The VHF squelch thresholds, the UHF
squelch thresholds, the VHF high and low power levels and the UHF high and
low power levels.

I know someone that accidentally changed all of their UHF high power
settings to 255 and damaged the radio's UHF power output in short order. If
a CHIRP image from this radio was uploaded into another one, the same would
happen if the PTT was press on a UHF frequency. Or if someone wanted to run
QRP and set all of the low power settings to something less that the 1 watt
factory setting, loading the image saved from that radio into another would
set it to QRP as well.

Someone could maliciously set all of the high power settings to the max and
post it in a forum just to see how many radios could be damaged. Remember,
that this isn't a CHIRP problem. The same can be done with the Baofeng
software.

Wouxun KG-UV-6D

I'm not certain, but I believe that the image from this radio also contains
settings that were configured at the factory. Directly uploading an image
that was saved from another radio can affect your radio in undesirable ways.

The bottom line is that it is not a good idea to directly upload images
from other radios into your radio without knowing the risks. When in doubt,
cut-and-paste between tabs or use the Import .img feature that Milton
suggests.