[chirp_users] Blank screen with win xp

Jim Unroe
Tue Jun 24 18:43:54 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Hubert Peery <w5gyx at allegiance.tv> wrote:

> I don’t know if that was Paul answering me or not as I can’t get a screen
> to download anything.  When the live cd boots all I get is a blinking  ( -)
> in the upper left corner and I have left it there for over an hour and
> nothing.  Everything just stops. This is on an old laptop I would like to
> take with me if a radio needs to be programed.  The live cd boots up just
> fine on my win 7 and programs and saves just fine but sure would like to
> use the laptop.
>
> Hub

Actually when you boot the CHIRP Live CD it is not running on Win XP or Win
7 or anything else that may be installed on your computer. The OS on the
computer doesn't matter, it is completely bypassed. The OS that CHIRP Live
CD uses is Xubuntu 12.04 and all that matters is that the hardware you are
trying to load it on is compatible with it.

My CHIRP Live CD (actually it is a live USB flash drive) has an issue with
my Nvidia video card. It basically stalls during the boot very similar to
the way you describe. It appears to be in some kind of boot loop. I had the
same problem with a few releases of Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I contacted
Nvidia for help and their response was "we don't support Linux". So after
much searching I found a solution that works for me.

What I have to do is add "nomodeset" to the kernel boot options. Here is
how I do it.

1. When I see the initial boot menu I press the [TAB] key

This will display the default boot options.

2. Then I type a [space] followed by "nomodeset" (without the quotes)
followed by the [ENTER] key

With this added boot option, my CHIRP Live CD boots fully and works like a
charm.