[chirp_users] Using CHIRP Without the Mouse

Catherine Getchell
Mon Jun 23 17:12:52 PDT 2014

Wow, thanks!  Dumb question:  Are there shortcut keys to bring up the
various menus themselves, or only shortcut keys that activate the
various menu items?  I'll have to give these a shot some time soon,
and I'll definitely let you know how they work out.  Thanks again!
Catherine

On 6/23/14, Dave Nathanson <KG6ZJO at nathanson.org> wrote:
> [...]
> 6. Upload to Radio.
>

> How to Export to csv file:
> alt x
> name the new file.
> press enter or return.
> This brings up another dialog box that gives you the opportunity to select
> itms to include or not include in the saved file. I always save everything.
>
> press tab 12 times then return to save the file. It will be slightly easier
> if you do not quit Chirp. Just leave it running right there.
>
> Then open that csv text file in your favorite spreadsheet app & edit. The
> first row will have the column titles. Save as csv text file when finished.
>

> How to import a CSV Text file into Chirp:
> alt i
> This opens the file selection dialog box, which may default to only showing
> .chirp files. We want a .csv file.
>
> Press tab once, to enter the field to select the file types to display.
> Press down arrow twice to select the third item which is .csv files.
>
> Press tab 11 times, then right arrow to enter the area to select a file. Now
> up and down arrow to select a file to import.
> Press Return to select the highlighted file.
>
> This brings up that dialog box where you can choose to omit some records. I
> always want all of them, so press tab 12 times then press Return to
> continue. That ought to perform the import.
>
> With some luck, we now have Chirp displaying all your edited memory
> locations, using the same window that we downloaded from the radio.  Great!
> Lets upload all that into the radio.
>
> How To Upload To Radio:
> Upload To Radio is alt u. That will bring up a dialog box to select the
> port, radio make & radio model again. It will remember your previous
> selections. So 6 presses of the Tab key then press Return ought to get you
> past that upload dialog box.
>
> OKAY! That might do it!
> Please let me know what did or didn't work, or what could use some revision,
> and any tips you can pass on that might help the next blind Chirp user.
>
> Good Luck! :-)
>
> Best,
> Dave Nathanson
> KG6ZJO
>
> On Jun 22, 2014, at 4:47 PM, Catherine Getchell <cgtrumpet at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> The keyboard shortcuts worked great!  I was able to download my
>> existing channels onto the computer.  What I'm not sure how to do
>> using the keyboard is add more channels to the radio.  Are there other
>> keyboard shortcuts?  Like what about for the file menu?  Thanks so
>> much for the help!
>> Catherine
>>
>> On 6/21/14, Dave Nathanson <KG6ZJO at nathanson.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Catherine,
>>>
>>> Bad news and maybe good news. First the bad news.

>>> http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/FAQ
>>> "I'm a blind ham. Can I use CHIRP with a screen reader?
>>>
>>> CHIRP uses a graphical toolkit called GTK. This lets it run on all
>>> unchanged. Since GTK is native on Linux, screen reading software for
>>> Linux
>>> will work with CHIRP without any trouble. On MacOS and Windows, GTK is
>>> not
>>> native and thus screen readers on these platforms will see CHIRP as a
>>> blank
>>> window. This cannot and will not be changed, as it would mean writing
>>> CHIRP
>>> three times, once for each platform, or dropping support for MacOS and
>>> Windows entirely."
>>>

>>> Ok, here is some slightly better news. CHIRP does have keyboard support
>>> for
>>> all or most menu commands, even if they may not be not exactly what you
>>> expect.
>>>
>>> Generally the first command is to "Download From Radio" (menu title is
>>> Radio). Or from the keyboard press alt d at the same time. On a
>>> Macintosh,
>>> you might expect that to be command d, but it is really option d. Oh, it
>>> looks like JAWS is a Windows, app, so you are probably using Windows. I'm
>>> on
>>> Macintosh, but I expect it will be exactly the same.
>>>
>>> After reading your message, and remarking to myself about the courage it
>>> must take to approach daily life without sight, I spent some time more
>>> or
>>> less discovering the following keyboard sequences, please let us know if
>>> they work for you, and how to improve these tips for you, and people in
>>> your
>>> situation. If we do OK, maybe I will make an addition to the CHIRP
>>> documentation. On the other hand, if your screen reader can't see