[chirp_users] Baofeng Radios

Jim Unroe
Tue Jul 1 15:03:03 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Steve Wall <stevewmn at gmail.com> wrote:

> One prolific chip programming cable "gotcha" I haven't heard anyone
> mention is using the right USB port.  Once you get it working by
> manually installing the old version of the prolific driver you have to
> plug your programming cable into that exact same USB port on your
> computer every time. I ran into this one after trying to reprogram a
> radio after a few months of use.  After an hour or so of head
> scratching I switched ports and boom it worked perfectly again.

I have 2 USB ports on the front of my computer. I just plugged my Prolific
based USB programming cable into the left USB port, waited for Win7 to
install the latest driver and then downgraded it to the v3.2.0.0 driver. It
was assigned COM2. I then removed the programming cable from the left USB
port and plugged it into the right USB port. The Win7 driver
install/downgrade process was repeated. Lastly I changed the right USB port
to also be assigned COM2.

So I can plug my programming cable into either USB port without have to
worry about driver issues or having to set CHIRP for a different COM port.