[chirp_users] Baofeng Radios

Nigel Johnson, MIEEE
Tue Jul 1 09:48:31 PDT 2014

Don't blame Prolific, they just put in some extra code to check if their driver is being used on a genuine or fake chip.

73 de Nigel ve3id

On 07/01/2014 12:36 PM, Pete Mackie wrote:
> I too only use a FTDI USB / serial cable with my HT. I use this cable with my Yaesu VX-6 on three separate computers. One workstation and two field laptops. My FTDI cable connects 100% of the time with fail proof HT uploads and downloads.
>
> As I read all of the gross Prolific connection failure support requests, I am now wondering why Hams even waste their time in dealing with using Prolific USB / serial cables?
>
> Pete Mackie
> kg7ixu at arrl.net <mailto:kg7ixu at arrl.net>
>

> On Jul 1, 2014, at 8:07 AM, MURS Radio <mursradio at gmail.com <mailto:mursradio at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> I have previously used cables requiring the Prolific driver for most of my programming. Usually had about a 10-20% failure rate overall when programming or attempting to program even with the correct driver. I now use FTDI cables and no longer have any issues with everything else staying the same (computer, CHIRP version, etc.). The difference was drastic enough for me to toss the old cables.
>>

>> - Rob

- --
Nigel Johnson
MSc., MIEEE
VE3ID/G4AJQ/VA3MCU

Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!

http://nigel.homelinux.net
http://va3mcu.ham-radio-op.net

You can reach me by voice on Skype:  TILBURY2591

If time travel ever will be possible, it already is. Ask me again yesterday

This e-mail is not and cannot, by its nature, be confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass across the public Internet, easily readable by any number of system administrators along the way.
   Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson at ieee.org>

Please consider the environment when deciding if you really need to print this message