[chirp_users] Split PLs for UV-5RA

Jim Unroe
Thu Jan 30 03:38:32 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:18 AM, N4AOF <n4aof.tom at gmail.com> wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, Chirp can't do anything that the radio itself
> cannot do.

CHIRP does lots of things that the radio itself cannot do . I believe that
what you meant to say was that CHIRP can't make the radio do anything that
the radio itself cannot do. ;-)

> I do not believe the UV-5R family of radios have any way to do
> split tone.

Yes. It does. Eleven different combinations (including mixed CTCSS and DCS)
can be programmed and CHIRP supports them all.

> One the other hand, there is NEVER any actual NEED to do split tone,
> because
> there is NEVER any actual NEED to use a Rx Tone at all.

For those not yet understanding how CTCSS tones and DCS codes work, it is
highly recommended for them to not use Rx CTCSS or Rx DCS. Setting them
incorrectly will render the radio deaf. Setting both to OFF will always
work.

But there are situations where having an Rx CTCSS tone or Rx DCS code
programmed can be quite useful. Once the use of Rx CTCSS and Rx DCS is
understood, the use of them for these situations should be encouraged.