[chirp_users] Problems with Yaesu -- FT60 and FT-8800

Tom Hayward
Thu Jan 23 15:18:02 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Basil Copeland <blcjr2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt reply.  At least with respect to the FT-60, Commander
> was not open; at that point, it had not even been installed.  IAC, I just
> went through the whole process again with the FT-60.  Same error.
>
> Seems curious to me that this would happen with two different cables
> connected to two different radios.  I really do not see how it could be a
> cable issue.  Driver issue, perhaps.  That would be the only common
> denominator.  The driver is FTDI 2.8.30.0, dated 7/12/13, and installed
> using COM4, as COM1/3 is reported "in use" (that would be for a Prolific
> driver/USB cable used with the UV-5R).

Like I said, the Yaesu cable has the tx and rx lines connected. This
means there's a simple test to confirm the drivers and cable are
working correctly: Open a terminal emulator on that COM port and type
something (speed is irrelevant). You should see the letters print to
the screen, like you do when typing into a text editor. If nothing
prints to the screen, something in the driver or cable isn't working.

Tom KD7LXL