[chirp_users] Chirp Baofeng UV5RA Settings

Harvey Iri
Fri Jan 17 19:37:51 PST 2014

Yes I am sorry, the 20th is what  I meant.

On Friday, January 17, 2014 3:19 PM, Jeff Widen <dftd3 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Jim
Thanks for the info it was very helpful.
Jeff, K6QCB
On Thu, 1/16/14, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Chirp Baofeng UV5RA Settings
To: "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Date: Thursday, January 16, 2014, 3:29 AM

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at
3:24 AM, Jeff Widen <dftd3 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

In the advanced settings section for a Baofeng UV5RA in
Chirp there is a "RESET menu" enable check box and
"ALL menus" enable check box. What do these do?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

When "RESET
Menu" is not ticked, menu 40 (RESET) is not available
to the user when the radio is in MR/Channel Mode.

When "All
Menus" is not ticked, none of the radio's menus are
available to the user when the radio is in MR/Channel Mode.

Unfortunately,
once the user taps the [VFO/MR] key and puts the radio into
VFO/Frequency Mode, all menus are available to the user no
matter what the settings for "RESET Menu" and
"All Menus" happen to be.

There is no way, in the typical UV-5R family of radios (see
link below), to keep the user from accessing VFO/Frequency
mode. This pretty much diminishes the usefulness of these
settings.

Import Communications' most recent F-11 (private label
UV-5R), on the other hand, has a custom firmware that allows
the [VFO/MR] key to be disabled. Disabling the [VFO/MR] key
with the radio in MR/Channel Mode keeps the user in that
mode and allows the "RESET Menu" and "All
Menus" settings function as intended.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Baofeng_UV5R_Variants

Jim KC9HI

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----