[chirp_users] Wouxun UV6X (Powerwerx) - read new radio, no settings available to unlock the menu?

Rob Sullivan
Wed Jan 15 21:06:43 PST 2014

Is this expected, ie. do I really have to install the Windows software
to unlock the Menu on a new UV6X Powerwerx radio?

Chirp daily (1/15/2014) on linux reads the frequencies OK (after
Download from Radio) OK, but the Chirp Settings tab is /entirely blank/
- there are no options, not even the one to enable the Menu.

The box includes a warning paper that says the radio ships with Menu
disapled (required for FCC Part 90 radio?), and that the Wouxun software
must be first be used to download, select Menu Enabled, then rewrite to
the radio in order to enable it.  They also warn that third party
software may brick the radio.

After using the free Powerwerx software to read the radio, enable Menus,
and write the radio, the result with Chirp is the same: the pre-loaded
frequencies show up, but the Setup tab is blank.

O/S is Ubuntu with current patches, etc.

Am I missing something?  I didn't try writing the radio with Chirp. A
few days ago, I used Chirp to read and write a UV6D(v1) -- it worked fine.

Thanks & 73,

Rob