[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R Frequency mod

Jim Unroe
Sun Jan 12 08:43:57 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Tom Farrell <farrell at visi.com> wrote:

> *Jim Unroe,*
>

> *“*One thing you can do is use CHIRP to set either
>
> (or both or some combination) of the band limits
>
> to 100 MHz and 999 MHz.”
>

> *Could you send me instructions on how to do this?  I could not find *
>
> *anywhere in the chirp menu settings to allow me to modify the band *
>
> *limits.  I have a 127.8 Frequency I would like to attempt to program *
>
> *into my Baofeng UV-5R.  Any help would be appreciated.*
>

> *Thanks again, Tom*

Hi Tom,

After you have downloaded from your UV-5R (or loaded a .img file that was
created from your UV-5R) you should go to the Settings > Other Settings
menu. Here is where you can set you VHF and UHF lower and lower limits.
Here is how mine are set:

VHF Lower Limit(MHz): 100
VHF Upper Limit(MHz): 199
UHF Lower Limit(MHz): 200
UHF Upper Limit(MHz): 999

Now when I am in either the [A] or [B] VFO set to VHF, I can key in
frequencies form 100.0000 - 199.9975 MHz. When either VFO is set to UHF, I
can key in 200.0000 - 999.9975 MHz. Obviously the frequencies that you can
key in are dependent on the STEP setting for that display's VFO.

The allowable range in CHIRP is from 1 to 1000, so there is nothing
stopping you from setting either or both VHF and UHF VFOs to 1 - 1000.

Also, if you want to scan between 800 and 850 MHz you would set either the
VHF or UHF limits as shown below:

VHF Lower Limit(MHz): 800
VHF Upper Limit(MHz): 849

Now with either the upper [A] or lower [B] VFO set to VHF, scanning the VFO
with a STEP of 2.5 KHz will scan from 800.0000 to 849.9975 MHz.

Any frequency that you can key in can be stored in a channel using menu 27
just like you would with any frequency with the factory specified limits.

So here you go. Just don't expect any results much outside the factory
specified limits.