[chirp_users] Programing issues with CHIRP and Baofeng UV-5RA

Michael Rathbun
Tue Jan 7 18:24:37 PST 2014

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 18:11:43 -0800 (PST), Rick Hanzlik <n7ngk at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Perhaps this has been addressed in another post, if so I would appreciate a reference to it but for now, here is my issues:
>
>1: When I try to use CHIRP with on my 64-bit Vista home machine, I am unable to communicate to the radio, as soon as I turn on the radio, it displays the greeting then immediately goes into transmit mode. I pretty sure it has something to do with the USB ports on the computer because when I try to communicate  with another brand of radio (QUANSHENG TG-K4AT) the same thing happens;
> Driver: Prolific Version 3.4.48.272 dated 3/5/2013

I have the "go into transmit mode as soon as the software configures the
cable" problem.  I deal with it in two ways, either of which is sufficient:

1.  make sure the active channel is a non-transmit one (e.g. NOAA).
2.  ready CHIRP for the operation, plug the cable in with the unit OFF,
power up the unit, and click the "do it" button on CHIRP as soon as I see
the power-on banner.

mdr