[chirp_users] UV-3R ??? TX Inhibit

Benton
Thu Jan 2 13:12:24 PST 2014

On 2014-01-02 12:57, Woody Kirkman wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Set the duplex column in CHIRP to "off ". This will inhibit TX on that
> memory location.

Heh, I can answer this one now...

> As others have mentioned,
> http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/Model_Support.html
> shows the list of duplex options for every radios.

...shows that the UV-3R doesn't support 'off' duplex, so it will default
to simplex.  If your radio is still 'locked' -- set to only TX in the
legal AR ranges, and the NOAA station is outside that range, you're OK,
the radio won't tx.  If you've unlocked your radio, you may be at risk
of inadvertently tx'ing on the frequency.

I need to look into what unsetting the tx frequency will do, as someone
else suggesgted. Suspect it also reverts to simplex.

I was properly chastised (hi Tom) for suggesting pointing the Tx to some
'harmless' frequency -- it was pointed out that there *are* no harmless
frequencies -- sending the tx there could well interfere with someone
else.  Not good operating practice.

For myself, I think I'm going to see if I can re-lock my Wouxun and live
w/o the option for tx'ing on FRS in an emergency.  And I'll no longer
advocate unlocking radios, especially for our novice community.

Benton 2jan14
--
KF7QLP
Benton Holzwarth