[chirp_users] Windows 8

Milton Hywatt
Mon Feb 10 14:43:49 PST 2014

How the virtual device driver is written to the registry
usually determines the port associated with the cable.
Each USB port on a hub is given a unique ID of course.
And when the virtual device gets listed in the registry the port is
also written. Or something like that. I've been dealing with the
Windows driver and port Musical Chairs since 2000. Also in Linux
and OSX. But I believe there are three things needed to keep a
COM port associated with a USB ID and one is in the device driver.
I used to use a Windows 2000 virtual device driver for an old Radio
Shack USB to DB9 cable. 2000 was the most current driver. I got
it to work with Windows Vista and Windows 7 but it caused havoc
with the other COM port drivers. One driver for a Prolific cable would
suddenly re-appear with a yellow question mark when the Windows
2000 driver was active. When the old cable was unplugged the yellow
question mark went away but the COM ports were all changed, two at that
time for two different 2303 cables. So I ended up booting into Vista and using
the old cable there. Was too much bother to rest the COMs back to there proper device.

________________________________
 From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 4:45 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Windows 8

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM, Michael Walker <va3mw at portcredit.net> wrote:

I also believe that the current FTDI chipset will remember its com port number even if you plug it into a different USB port which is nice and you aren't plugging the cable in only to tell  you it is Com54.  :)  Hence the reason you might want to clean up your old ports with what I sent earlier.

>It is hard to solve if you only get the USB to radio programming cable and you have no choice but to back rev their driver.
>

>If you go for the RS232 to radio programming cable, then you do have the option of using a USB certified RS232 port.  Going back to the RS232 (DB9 connector) is my failsafe that always works.
>

>Mike va3mw

Mike,

I believe you are correct about the FTDI cable using the same com port for different USB ports. I never tried, but I assume it is smart enough to change if 2 or more cables are plugged in at the same time.

Even though Windows installs another driver (the wrong one in the case of an unauthorized Prolific chip copy), you can then go into the Device Manager to select the older driver and same port as before. So if you take the time up front, you can set the front ports of your computer, for example, to the same driver version and com port number. Then it won't matter which port you plug the USB cable into.