[chirp_users] Baofeng CT-3 programs as ur5 SOMETIMES

Milton Hywatt
Sat Feb 1 12:13:43 PST 2014

I use 3 PL2303 cables in Windows 7. One for Baofeng F-11, Wouxun
KG-UV6D/UV6Dv2, one for Anytone AT-5888UV, and one cable that
was an extra for Anytone. I skinned the cable back to expose the white and black
wires. Soldered on a mini 6 pin DIN cable with two wires leading to pins 2 and 6
for my Yaesu FT8900. So that PL2303 will work on Anytone and Yaesu models
with a 6 pin mini DIN data jack. Next I will ad a third radio plug to that cable and
it will work with my two Yaesu hand helds that use a 3.5mm plug. I'm not sure
if they combine send and receive though but if they do, that cable will also terminate
into a 3.5mm plug. I can also buy cable components from a friend who has the parts.
He's etched the prototype pc boardthen sent it off to a small company that replicated
50 units. All it is then is to populate the board with either FTDI or Prolific, a few other
components and enclose the board in heat shrink tubing after the cords are attached.
This USB to serial really is amateurish at best.

________________________________
 From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 1, 2014 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng CT-3 programs as ur5 SOMETIMES

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 12:50 AM, David S. Calef <dcalef at cfassociates.com> wrote:

Yes, if you have a Baofeng CT-3, you can program it as  a ur5 IF you are using the older prolific driver.

>I use cables with the FTDI chip and drivers as my main programming cables. These do not work on the CT-3. Work great on 6 various ur5 models I have with no problems at all.  The CT-3 will go into error saying the radio did not respond.  Must be a timing issue I would guess.
>
>David ND1Q

I assume that you meant GT-3.

Interesting. We usually recommend FTDI based programing cables to avoid issues like this.

Please tell us which driver version does not work and which driver version does.