[chirp_users] UV5R

Ernie Mueller
Sat Aug 30 18:18:10 PDT 2014

I kinda gave up on this until I realized I have an old Acer mini laptop XP.  I downloaded to the Acer from Miklor the XP driver for the Prolific USB cable and it works just fine.  No more automatic downloading of what Windows 8.1 thinks I need.....

Ernie Mueller KL2UH
ernie.mueller at gci.net
907-780-4083 (h)
907-209-4618 (c)

From: Jim Unroe
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:35 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] UV5R

Sarge,

Have you actually gone into Device Manager when the programming cable is plugged in and confirmed that the older and compatible V3.2.0.0 driver is still installed?

Having CHIRP work for a while and then not work later and at the same time seeing the radio goes into TX mode with the programming plugged tells me that Windows has automatically updated the driver to the latest and greatest (but also incompatible) driver. This can happen with Windows Vista, 7 and 8.

If you have previously installed the V3.2.0.0 driver, you can go into Device Manager and start at step 7 of the miklor.com guide to re-select this driver as shown in the remaining steps. If you don't see the V3.2.0.0 driver listed when you get to step 11, then you need to go back to step 1 and start over.

Here's the URL again... http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Jim KC9H