[chirp_users] Puxing 777 - Failed to communicate with radio: Radio did not ACK first command

Jim Unroe
Sat Aug 2 06:14:54 PDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Hans _ <trottpahackers at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Have anyone had this problem?
>
> "Failed to communicate with radio: Radio did not ACK first command"
>
> I start "Download  from radio" and get the answer above.
>
> How did you solve it???
>

> Cheers  Hans    SM7YTJ

Hans,

Usually problems like this are caused by the programming cable and its
connection to the radio being programmed. To see what I mean, remove the
programming cable from the radio and then try to download. You will see
that with the radio not connected you will get exactly the same error.

Many times the problem is related to programming cables that are
manufactured with unauthorized copies of the Prolific USB-to-serial chip.
The most recent drivers from Prolific (the ones that automatically get
installed with Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1) are designed to not function
with these chips. To get a cable with this copied chip to work, the Windows
driver must be downgraded to a particular older version.

V3.2.0.0 for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1
V2.0.2.1 for Windows XP

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

For Mac OS X, one of the generic Prolific drivers must be installed.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MacOS_Tips

One way to see that this is the issue is to give CHIRP Live CD a try. The
Prolific drivers in linux don't have the issues with copied chips. If CHIRP
Live CD works for you, then the problem you are having is almost surely a
driver issue.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/chirplivecd/

Another issue common with the UV-5R is that it is sometimes difficult to
get the plug on the programming cable fully engaged in the socket of the
radio. Sometime it is the case of the radio and the shell of the plug
interfering with each other and not allowing the pins to fully enter the
socket. Sometimes it is the sockets in the case not lined up with the holes
in the case causing the problem.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ErrorMess.php#error1