[chirp_users] Straightening out mixed terminology

Jim Unroe
Tue Apr 8 18:08:40 PDT 2014

Hi Pete,

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Pete Miller <scmiller40 at gmail.com> wrote:

> =-=-=
>
> Below are examples of a repeater directory table, a csv-formatted table for
> BaoFeng UV-5RE  Plus, and the cloned CHIRP report for the UV-5RE Plus
>
> *The overall question:*
> How does the repeater directory terminology fit CHIRP's and the BaoFeng
> columns?
>

> Repeater directory columns
> FREQ OFSST CITYCALL MODE CODE
> IN       OUTSTATUSCOUNTY IRLPECHOLINKS/COMMENTS Las
> =-=
>
>    - Freq -- transmit frequency of repeater? yes, according to KC5OLO
>
> This is the frequency that you are going to listen to (aka the transmit
frequency of the other station). This corresponds to the CHIRP Frequency
column.

>    - OFS -- For example, standard offset for 2m is -600 kHz
>    *What* gets entered *where* in the BaoFeng CSV and cloned columns?
>    Maybe only the "-" or "+" or "split" gets entered? Then the offset is
>    just calculated for each band?
>
> This is used for repeaters. It is used to "offset" the transmit frequency
relative to the receive frequency. The offset amount is usually 600 KHz for
VHF repeaters and 5 MHz for UHF repeaters.
"-" and "+" are used to designate the direction that TX is shifted from RX
(lower in frequency and higher in frequency, respectively)
-600 would mean set Duplex = "-" and Offset = "0.600000"

When you use "Split" you enter the TX frequency directly into the Offset
column. In your 146.445 example below, the frequency that your radio needs
to transmit on is 1 MHz above the RX frequency.
In this case you would set Duplex = "Split" and Offset = "147.445"
But once you press the [Go] button, Duplex will change to "+" and Offset
will change to "1.000000" (another way to say the same thing)

When you enter a ham repeater frequency such as 146.640000, CHIRP will
recognize this as a 2 meter repeater frequency and automatically set Duplex
and Offset.

>    - Mode
>    Same as BF-UV5 "Tone Mode", or maybe BF's "Mode" (which is usually FM
>    for 2m band, right?) ?
>    What is "Tone Mode"?
>
> I'm not sure what this is but I am sure it has nothing to do with tones.
May be something to do with Wideband mode verses Narrowband mode. This is
the Mode column in CHIRP which can be set to FM (wide) or NFM (narrow).

>    - Code In and Code Out--
>
>  This is for the CTCSS tone(s). The first one is the one that is required
to access the repeater. The second one is never required and is best to be
left out until you understand how CTCSS works. It is the CTCSS tone for
receiving and if you set it wrong you will not hear anything.

>    - Here are four examples from the repeater directory
>
> 146.445+1MCTBridgeportWA1RJI 77.0/
> 156.777.0*Fairfield  224.680 (Rocky Hill, CT) 2012/09/09146.475+1MCT
> Norwalk W1NLK100.0100.0Fairfield   2012/09/12146.625 - CTFairfieldWB1CQO
> 100.0Fairfield    146.655- CTStamfordW1EE 100.0Fairfield 158564
> WB1GRB-R2013/01/28
>
> +1M is special offset?
>
>  Compared to the standard 600 KHz (0.600 MHz) for VHF or 5.000 MHz for
UHF, this is special/odd/non-standard

> 146.445 : What does 77.0 / 156.7 for Code In mean?
>
> 77.0 Hz is the CTCSS tone that you must send to access the repeater
156.7 Hz is the CTCSS tone that the repeater sends to open your squelch.
You do not have to program this tone.

> 146.445 : What does the red typestyle for Code Out mean?
> * means 'Gated PL' but I don't know what that means, yet.
>
> It probably means that this CTCSS tone is not transmitted all of the time.
It you program this into your radio and the tone is not being transmitted,
you will not hear anything. Do not program receive CTCSS tones unless you
understand how they work and know why you really need it.

>  What are the units of the 77.0, 100.0, and 156.7 numbers? mHz?
>
> Hz. They are considered "sub-audible"

>    - IRLP - The Internet Radio Linking Project
>    I'm not there yet
>

>    - Echo - Refers to EchoLink® ?
>    I'm not there yet
>
> =-=
> BaoFeng UV-5RE-Plus memory columns
> - cloned report downloaded from radio
>
> Your best bet here is to program several channels with various CTCSS tone
and DTCS code modes and export it. All of the columns are explained in the
CHIRP Guide on the miklor.com website. It wouldn't hurt to look at the
CHIRP Examples page either.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php

> [image: Inline image 1]
>

> How do these terms map to the ones in the csv-format below?
>
> csv                  cloned
>
> Frequency.......Frequency
>
> Name...............Name
>
> Tone Mode.......?
>
> Tone................?Tone
>
> ToneSql...........?
>
> DTCS Code......Dtcs Code
>
> DTCS Rx Code ?
>
> DTCS Pol.........Dtcs Polarity
>
> CrossMode.......?
>
> Duplex..............Duplex
>
> Offset...............Offset
>
> Mode................?Mode
>
> Power...............? hi or lo, but I haven't found that detail, so far
>
> Skip.................Skip
>
> =-=
>

> BaoFeng UV-5RE-Plus memory columns
> - csv format
>
> Location |Name |Frequency|Duplex|Offset |Tone|rToneFreq|cToneFreq|DtcsCode|
> DtcsPolarity|Mode| TStep|Skip|Comment URCALLRPT1CALLRPT2CALL
> What are
>
> rToneFreq
>
> the RX CTCSS tone

> cToneFreq
>
> the TX CTCSS tone

> TStep
>
> the STEP setting with isn't required for the UV-5R

> Skip
>
> a flag to determine if this memory channel is to be skipped ("S") or
scanned ("") when scanning.

> Why aren't the csv and cloned column headers and content the same?
> I do get that the column headers are supposed to guide the process of
> uploading to the radio,
> so the *order* of columns can be different. But why not make them the
> same, anyhow?
>
> Because the CSV file is a common format independent upon the Vendor or
Model of radio. The Memory Spreadsheet Editor is somewhat customized for
the particular radio model being programmed.

> May be a BaoFeng problem: When I try to manually enter info directly into
> the clone report, I
> can enter Name and Frequency, but clicking on other columns just makes the
> entire row (such
> as, the row for memory location 22) go away; seems to erase the row. I
> haven't figured out how
> to recover it, but since I haven't uploaded anything, I can of course
> download a new image.
> Suggestions about how to make direct entry into the downloaded, "cloned"
> report?
>
> It sounds like you have just clicked on a row and that isn't good enough.
Click in the cell. You will then see it change and you will then know it is
ready for input.