[chirp_users] help

Jim Unroe
Sun Sep 29 15:27:09 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Milton Hywatt <mhywattt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> John, you won't necessarily get the yellow triangle of death
> as the driver may be compatible with the cable but not with Chirp.

I would agree with this if you were talking out the Baofeng software. But
not when talking about CHIRP.

I have tried nearly every Prolific driver I could get my hands on to
determine the latest driver that would work with the unauthorized
USB-to-Serial chip copies that are normally used in low cost programming
cables. The latest driver that you can use is v3.3.2.105. CHIRP works fine
with this driver. The older Baofeng software from a year ago (I haven't
tried the latest Baofeng software) won't work with it. I had to downgrade
to v3.2.0.0 before the Baofeng software would work. This is the sole reason
that I recommend this driver for cables with unauthorized chips.

I have no doubt that CHIRP will work on any programming cable (Prolific,
FTDI, CP2102, etc.) that provides a working virtual COM port.