[chirp_users] CHIRP and IC-706MkIIG

Joe
Tue Sep 10 05:44:52 PDT 2013

There is a way to program the 706 via computer, but it is rather
awkward.  A ham here in Connecticut was working on a beta version years
ago, I have a copy of it somewhere.  The main problem was that you could
not program CTCSS (PL) tones with the computer.  His method was to
program 32 memories with the 32 possible memory tones.  When you wanted
to program an FM frequency with PL tone the program would recall the
memory that had the proper PL tone, reprogram the frequencies, then
write it to a different memory location.  This is all possible via the
computer CI-V  interface.  The downside is that you wasted 32 of the
possible 99 memories.  With some fancy software code you could probably
cut this down to a few memories that had the most popular PL tones in
your area, freeing up the remaining memories for memory locations.

He eventually, like many skilled programmers, got bored and moved on to
another project.  The program remains unfinished.

73, Joe, K1ike