[chirp_users] Baffled by CHIRP

Dave Nathanson
Sat Sep 7 17:15:43 PDT 2013

Hey Peter,
Definitely download & try the newer version of CHIRP. You mentioned v 0.2.1 but 0.3.1 is the current stable version, you might even need the daily build of CHIRP depending on when support for the 857 was added.

I don't know if the USB cables are really the same or not, but I do know that Valley Ent sells a cable for the 857 and a different cable for the 7900. Same for RTSystems. If you are using a non-USB cable, then it might be all different, I dunno.

The Valley Ent USB cable for the 7900 is specified to work with Yaesu models: FT-7800, FT-7800E, FT-7800R, FT-7900, FT-8800, FT-8800E, FT-8800R, FT-8900, FT-8900E, and FT-8900R.
http://www.valley-ent.com/catalog/yaesu-ftdi-programming-cable-ft7800-ft8800-ft8900-p-219.html

The Valley Ent USB cable for the 857 is specified to work with FT-100, FT-817, FT-857, FT-897, FT-100D, FT-817ND, FT-857D, amd FT-897D.
 http://www.valley-ent.com/catalog/yaesu-ftdi-ct62-cable-ft100-ft817-ft857-feet-p-562.html

RTSystems also sells a different USB cable for the 857 vs the 7900.
Their model USB-62 Cable is for the 857/897.
https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FT-857-programming-software-and-USB-cable-s/1928.htm

Their model USB-29B is for the Yaesu FT-7900
https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/FT-8000-programming-software-and-USB-cable-s/1902.htm

I'm not saying you have to buy either of from these guys, but this does _seem_ to indicate that cables are different. But I could easily be wrong, I don't have personal experience on this.

Best,
 Dave