[chirp_users] ic-2100, Icom USB OPC-478 FTDI (Valley Enterprises), driver from ftdichip.com and Windows XP

Dan Smith
Thu Sep 5 10:47:32 PDT 2013

> I have an ic-2100, Icom USB OPC-478 FTDI (Valley Enterprises), driver
> from ftdichip.com and Windows XP setup.  The usb serial port is on
> com 5 (I checked in device manager).  With the ic 1200 in the clone
> mode, asking chirp to download from the radio, clicking OK and
> pushing the smwmw button on the radio, I get “An error has occurred.
> Failed to communicate with the radio unexpected response from
> radio”.  I even tried without putting the radio in the clone
> mode......same response.....also tried two other computers (one XP
> and one Windows 7). When I ask the program to detect the radio  I
> get....”An error has occurred.  Unable to get radio model.”   Am I
> missing a step or two or doing things wrong?  Any help would be
> appreciated.

Icom radios are smart. Simply power them on (not in clone mode), connect
the cable, and tell chirp to download it. If you try to initiate a clone
from the radio, you'll break the communication process.